First Round Crop and Livestock Assessment Report, 2019/2020 Season
|Post date||Friday, 3 April, 2020 - 09:09|
|Document Type||Assessment Report|
|Content Themes||Agriculture, Livestock|
|Sources||Ministry of Agriculture, Ministry of Livestock|
The Ministry of Lands, Agriculture, Water and Rural Resettlement conducts three National Crop and Livestock
Assessments every year. These are: the first, the second and post-harvest assessments. For the 2019/2020 First Round Crop and Livestock Assessment, data collection by field staff was undertaken from the 28th of January to the 10th of February 2020. The verification exercise by national teams took place from the 10th February to 23rd February 2020.
The main objectives were to:
• Ascertain the areas planted under major crops and determine the main factors that influenced area planted.
• Assess the availability, accessibility and usage of inputs.
• Assess the quality of the rainfall season (start of season, temporal and spatial rainfall distribution) on crop growth stages and crop conditions.
• Assess grazing and livestock conditions, water supply, disease prevalence, and control.
• Assess overall prospects for the season (early Warning).