Updates on the Seasonal Rainfall Prediction (SRP) in 2019 - Nigerian Meteorological Agency (NiMet), 16 April 2019
|Post date||Thursday, 18 April, 2019 - 08:51|
|Content Themes||Agriculture, Livestock, Livelihoods, Food Security, Floods|
The presentation was given by NiMet during the FSS Abujameeting on 16 April. Key highlights include:
- The country is expected to experience late onset in most parts of the country, but this delay is likely to be more evident in the northern states. However, normal onset is expected over coastal and some south-east states.
- Most of the Northern states are expected to witness an earlier than normal end of growing season.
- Shorter Length of Growing Season is predicted for most parts of the country.
- The country is expected to have below normal to normal rainfall season.
- The probabilistic dry spell forecast shows that northern parts of the country like Borno, Jigawa, Kano, Katsina, Kebbi, Sokoto, Yobe and Zamfara are likely to experience severe dry spell in the month of June and July.